Sunday, February 21, 2016

Sewing the Flowers Together

Starting to Sew the Flowers Together
This is tedious work. After I carefully laid out the blocks, I numbered them in the same hexie for each flower, so all would be pointed in the same direction. With so many pins, I won't put my QA guy on the quilt top, he will have to wait a bit for further inspection. I sewed the intersecting sections together, then started sewing them to the flowers. At first, they went together fairly randomly.

Four Rows Sewn Together
Then I realized it would be much easier to sew a small section to the larger, and growing section. With this method I can keep the bulky part on the bottom and a relatively smaller section on top. This is fairly easy to manipulate, especially compared to sewing two fairly large pieces together. Remember, for each seam I have to turn the quilt top slightly so the hexies line up properly, and it's much easier to line up each seam if I only have to struggle with one large section of fabric on the bottom and a relatively small one on top.

Corner of quilt top
This is a corner, showing how I'm adding a few leftover colored hexies here and there.

Marking hexies
While at first I was marking the start/stop points on the hexies using a template, I found that I could eyeball the correct positions fairly accurately.  (The paper is the back side of my new dental insurance card that I printed)



Whenever the marks were slightly off, this wonderful piecing foot always showed me where I needed to be. This thing is truly a gem.


I had to quit sewing for a while so my son could bottle the latest batch of beer he was making. I had run out of hexies and needed the table to cut more for the border.  This is all the room I have in the apartment for sewing. I can't wait to move into the new house; there will be an update on it shortly.




3 comments:

  1. Very impressive how quickly you are getting this quilt put together. Looks lovely! (I see that kitty isn't deterred by the pins!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. First I looked at all the photos, and then I read what you had to say about them. Much the same as I thought! It's a big job, but you're doing really well. And the soft, blended batiks are going to be really gorgeous. Onwards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Juggling the stitching with the son's brewing - now there's an unanticipated challenge!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from readers! Please let me know what you think of my posts. If you ask a question, I will reply here on the blog, so others can see the answer.