Friday, March 30, 2012

Hand Sewing Sleeves



Lately I've been working on the constructing the Waterfall Christening Gown, so here is a quick update on my progress. This photo shows the sleeve gathered and attached to the gown with entredeux. I had rolled and whipped the armscye, then whipped the entredeux to it after trimming the fabric from only one side of the entredeux. That's very important, as I will use the fabric on the other side.


As you can see in this photo, I'm using the fabric on the uncut side of the entredeux to fold over the sleeve seam allowance and hem it into place. This is fairly fine, delicate work, but not nearly as exacting and fiddly as goldwork embroidery. So I can get quite a lot done in the car while my carpooler is driving.


Both sleeves are finished, and the side seams come next. The dress is looking a bit sad and grubby from all the handling, but I promise it will look just great when washed and ironed. If you would like to follow along on the construction of this gown, just click here.

We are driving to Pasadena today, so I expect to get some work done en route.

Have a great weekend!






2 comments:

  1. The entredeux seam is such a lovely effect. I'm looking forward to seeing this when it's finished.
    How are your fingertips holding up with all that hand stitching?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Che meraviglia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Quanto lavoro, quanta pazienza, quanta bravura e competenza, non vedo l'ora di vederlo in tutto il suo splendore.
    Tantissimi complimenti
    Un abbraccio
    Emi

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from readers! Please let me know what you think of my posts. If you ask a question, I will reply here on the blog, so others can see the answer.