Friday, June 24, 2011
More Progress on the Tulip Slip
Sometimes during the week I can rush home and shut myself up in my sewing room and stitch, stitch, stitch, but not this week. Somehow this week I had the sleepies every evening, and couldn't motivate myself do much at all. But in between car maintenance, laundry and grocery shopping chores today, I have managed to stitch for a few hours, and still have two days to go on the weekend! In this photo I have cut out the tulip, turned under the raw edges and appliqued it to the velvet using the brown silk floss that was used for the outline. I have just started on the additional outline using the green gimp supplied with the kit.
Here is the tulip with all the gimp applied, and don't you see something odd? It's not centered! Try as I might, the darn thing kept slipping down towards the lower left hand corner of the velvet square. I can't tell you how many times I repositioned the it before I started snipping and stitching it down, and it still ended up off center!
So, to add a not so subtle design element to the upper right hand corner, I decided to make a little square with my initials. Here it is with the blue guidelines so I know how big to make it. I am filling it in with the cream silk, and will applique it with a lighter shade of pink, or maybe another color. I'll decide on that as I go along. I'm using a bit of the scrap linen, sewn to some scrap cotton drill to make it fit into the hoop. The finished square will measure just over 15 mm so should fit nicely in the available space.
I really need to get this finished as I just realized that my niece is due to give birth in less than a month! I have some sewing to do!
Have a great weekend!