Thursday, June 9, 2011

Happy Birthday to Me!


Well, actually my birthday was a few weeks ago. But I just received my gift in the mail earlier this week. (l left the cellophane on it, so please excuse the glare).  It's a pencil box! But not just an ordinary pencil box, but one made to go with the following kit.



In January of last year we drove to Sacramento for our niece's wedding. We spent a few extra days there so I had to take a side trip to Needle in a Haystack in Alameda. I purchased this kit, but they didn't have the box to go with it. This year I decided that having the box would be a perfect birthday gift for me so I could make up the kit and have the classiest pencil box that anyone at work has ever seen!


The kit is a design that is inspired by the archives of the Royal School of Needlework and is produced by Tristan Brooks Designs, which specializes in Crewel work and has had some of their project featured in Inspirations Magazine.  If you recall, I managed to work on a Newbury Small project while on jury duty in February 2010. The kit contains several different yarns. I think the idea is for the student to get acquainted with several different threads to better know how to use them.

I plan on starting this soon and will be sharing posts with you - for good or bad.

5 comments:

  1. Such a lucky girl! It is a beautiful design and I will look forward to seeing its progress. I have done that re birthdays too. Hubby and the girls had to give me fabric rolls for the hexagon quilt or I would have put off buying anything and not made itLOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful way to highlight your skills!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday, Cynthia! I've eyed this project from Tristan Brooks for AGES. I love the box and the beehive! Can't wait to see your progress on it!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun gift! That box is gorgeous and with the stitchery in it, it will be even better! I lived in Alameda when I was in 1st and 2nd grade! That was a long time ago! I can still find where we lived on mapquest and trace the route we used to walk to school!

    Looking forward to seeing your little stitchery come to life!

    MGM

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a beautiful box, and will be even more special with your lovely needlework! Looking forward to seeing the finished product! Happy Belated Birthday!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from readers! Please let me know what you think of my posts. If you ask a question, I will reply here on the blog, so others can see the answer.