Sunday, May 8, 2011

Cross Stitch Linen Tablecloth


Happy Mother's Day to all of you mom's out there! Today, in honor of the day, I'll show an old tablecloth that I worked on with my mother back when I was fairly young, definitely not yet high school.


It was worked in two shades of green floss, and has some stains for shaded interest.


You can see that even though it is worked on a fairly even weave cloth, the stitches on this four leaf clover are not lining up well, and they don't all go in the same direction. But from afar the tablecloth doesn't look too bad.


My mother even signed it, but neglected to add the year. This is how she makes her initials when signing her name on paper, by the way, and so do I. Such a copy cat, I know, but sometimes we do things a certain way just because we always have, and very often we inherited those ways from our mothers.

Today is overcast and slight drizzly, our "May grey" here in Southern California. When the sun comes out a few more hours in the day, around late June, I'll soak this in a paste of Oxy Clean and Tide to try to work on those stains and then dry it in the sun. I know the floss is colorfast as it's been washed several times.

Again, Happy Mother's Day! I intend to spend several hours in my stitching room researching a new project. But first I think I'll make myself a nice cappucino.

2 comments:

  1. I have kept my first attempt at cross stitch as a girl; it isn't as neat as yours but my stitches also go different ways :-)
    It is good to look back and see how far we have come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its wonderful to have something so precious as a cloth or project worked together

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from readers! Please let me know what you think of my posts. If you ask a question, I will reply here on the blog, so others can see the answer.