Saturday, July 17, 2010

Flower Parade Dress

Two years ago our local SAGA group held a great workshop with Lezette Thomason who taught us how to redraft a pattern to make it your own. Lezette is one of the founders of Children's Corner, an heirloom sewing shop for children in Nashville, Tennessee. Now isn't that a niche market!

We started with Children's Corner pattern #242 Charlotte. Follow the link and scroll all the way down the page to see the photo of the pattern. Lezette walked us through drafting a new front pattern piece to make the closure asymmetrical.


The pattern is really simple, consisting of the two front pieces, the back and the little flower applique. It is fully lined and edged in rick rack around the neck and armholes.


Isn't that flower button cute? You can also make this in a dark red corduroy with holly shaped leaves to use as a Christmas jumper.  Or you can make it in a pastel with all sorts of hand embroidery around the leaves. This dress was so easy, I finished it that evening. I made it in a size 5, so my niece wore it the rest of the summer. Now I just need to put a size label in it so I'll remember it for my granddaughter.

Lezette is also featured on the Bernina blog, as she teaches with Berninas and is actually certified to repair them. If you follow the link, you will see her in the photo, standing on the far right.

Children's Corner patterns are very well explained, easy to use and available on-line. If you have a problem, you can call the store and they'll help you with it. Isn't that great customer service?

1 comment:

  1. Another sweet little dress. I love seeing what you make.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from readers! Please let me know what you think of my posts. If you ask a question, I will reply here on the blog, so others can see the answer.