Friday, October 29, 2010

Piecing the Black and White Quilt

It's a busy day here at the homestead. There will be all sorts of repairmen in and out all day, a medical appointment, firewood delivery and heaven knows what else. I am completely sick of having the black and white quilt blocks on the living room floor, so I am starting to piece them together.


I started these blocks back in 2006 for my youngest son to take a quilt to grad school. Back then, he couldn't decide whether he wanted black or blue log cabins, so I made both. I bought an unbelievable amount of fabric and sewed log cabin blocks by the dozens. Eventually he decided on the blue, so I made them into a quilt for him. And I didn't get a picture, so you'll have to take my word on it that it did turn out quite nice. So this is why I had nearly all of the black and white blocks already made.


Look at the way these are sewn together - quite a variance in size! I'm going to have to get the rotary cutter out and start whacking those extra pieces off. This is an extreme example, most aren't that bad.



Since so much is going on today I've ensconced myself on our newly refinished dining room table which puts me close to the quilt blocks in the living room. It's going very, very slowly as I need to match up the pattern carefully. I've already had to rip out a few seams, which tends to put me in a not very good mood. If I'm careful, I can get most of this done this weekend. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck! It's going to be beautiful when it's done and very masculine. Looking forward to seeing it pieced.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from readers! Please let me know what you think of my posts. If you ask a question, I will reply here on the blog, so others can see the answer.