Thursday, May 20, 2010

Wool Felt Embroidery Envelope

Since Mary Corbet posted her blog this past Sunday on Needle 'n Thread regarding wool felt, I thought it might be  appropriate to share some projects of my own using wool felt.
 

 A few years ago I fell in love with this pattern, 812 Arlyn's Embroidery Envelope, from Crabapple Hill Designs. It is an embroidery envelope, or mini sewing kit, to take along to work on various sewing or embroidery projects. It sat in my sewing room for quite a while, until I uncovered it while cleaning. Since it was so cute, I decided to make it up then and there. I put the felt into hot water and dried it, to give it that "boiled" look.  I embroidered it in DMC Floss, using various patterns from Country Bumpkin's A to Z of Embroidered Flowers.
 
The instructions with the pattern called out wool felt applique for the heart flowers and the large leaf, but I didn't have the proper color of scraps on hand, so I substituted other designs, even adding a few beads here and there. I used a scrap of vinyl under the scissors case, and would have for the pin cushion if I had thought of it. Cute, isn't it? Later I'll post some bears that I've made.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Cynthia! I love your tool envelope! It's so pretty! I want to make something similar this summer while driving hither and thither (well, probably not while I'm driving!) I'm heading to the Northeast this summer, up through Canada, over to PEI, and down the east coast and back home. Last summer, we did the Northwest, then down the coast of CA, then back. 6,000 miles in 2 weeks! This year, I'm taking 3-4 weeks, so it'll be a little more "relaxed." I hope to get in some needlework shops along the way, and some stitching!

    Welcome to the blog-o-sphere! I've added you to my feedreader, and I can't wait to see what else is coming!

    Best regards,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary, thanks for visiting my post! That's a long drive you have planned. I hope you post some of what you see on the way. I discovered your blog last year during your vacation.

    The envelope is pretty easy, a good road trip project, as it doesn't need any extra light or magnification.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from readers! Please let me know what you think of my posts. If you ask a question, I will reply here on the blog, so others can see the answer.