Thursday, May 27, 2010

Shirley Temple Dress - Finished the Scalloped Border

I haven't mentioned the Shirley Temple Dress since April when I started this blog, so I'm giving you an update. After all, this dress, and the others in the Wendy Schoen Embroidery Club 2010 is the whole reason I started this blog.


I managed to finish all of the scalloped edging. If you recall I used blue DMC floche, which came with the kit. There wasn't quite enough in the kit to do all of the scallops, but this may be because I used a backstitch for the outline. I had to dip into my stash for the rest of the floche, but this isn't a problem as I have every color available, so my supply will probably outlast me! Stitching an even buttonhole scallop edging is not easy. Especially as I wasn't as careful as I probably should have been marking and stitching the outline. So it's a bit uneven here and there. The stitching over the seams is particularly uneven. Once I wash it and play with it a bit it may come out a bit better. But all in all, I look upon this dress as a skill builder. This coming weekend is Memorial Day weekend in the US, and I have four days off - Friday being a day off for me (my work schedule gives me every other Friday off). So I hope to get a lot done, maybe even finish it. I need trim the scalloped edges using a pair of duckbilled applique scissors I got for Christmas. Then buttonholes, buttons and the hem and it will be finished. I can't wait to see my granddaughter in it!

1 comment:

  1. You mean we supposed to STITCH the kits? :) One way to get even scallops is the do the outline first with your machine, then do the hand worked buttonhole on top of that. You get the best of both worlds. Your work is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from readers! Please let me know what you think of my posts. If you ask a question, I will reply here on the blog, so others can see the answer.