During this weekend I caught the gardening bug, so wasn't able to work on my grand niece's bishop as much as I would have liked.
I did manage to finish the smocking and block it before proceeding on to the embroidery. I like to add beads to smocking, it adds a bit of sparkly without overdoing it.
I then worked the bullion roses in the large hearts. These are a bit different from any that I have worked before in that it calls for a French knot in in the darkest color for the center, then three bullions in the medium color, then two bullions on the sides in the lightest color. The leaves are detached chains but look how bright they are! I realized then that this green was just too bright for this dress. I wanted a look that was more delicate, and bright just isn't the way to say delicate.
So I switched from DMC 989 to 184, which is the much lighter green that you see in this photo. Just right, in my opinion. The pattern calls for cable flowerettes in the small hearts, but I may do something else, such as a small bullion bud, or just leave them blank. I still have to figure out how I want to finish the sleeves and hem, and will work on these during the week.
It's now Sunday evening, and I'm sick of gardening. We did a bit of bird watching from the back yard patio and caught these goldfinches feeding on the lavender buds.
Have a great week!