Thursday, July 21, 2011
Baby Bishop I Completed
It's finished! My Baby Bishop I is finished for my niece who was due to deliver her first baby this past Sunday. I'm calling it Number I because I have another niece who is due to deliver in mid September, and I hope I'll have enough time to make another bishop for her.
Bullion roses embroidered on the smocking. The pattern calls for weaving ribbon through the top two rows of the pink smocking, but I decided I really didn't like it. I just wish I would have thought of this earlier and adjusted the white smocked section upwards with lots more beads. Oh well, live and learn.
I decided to add scalloped featherstitching to the hem of the dress, with little rosebuds at the apex of each scallop.
I even had the featherstitching match at the back opening. But boy, does that featherstitching look B A D. I'll have to fix that section on the overlap. Not to mention really work on the photography!
If you recall, I made this dress out of cotton twill that I purchased from Joann's Fabrics, a discount fabric store that is prevalent in the US. I say discount, but they do seem to be upgrading some of the fabric selections. This fabric is a fairly nice cotton twill that comes in several colors and is very nice to work with, although it seemed to be rather difficult to straighten out at first as my previous post on this subject describes. The really nice part is that after washing the dress and hanging it to dry it looks pretty good so the new mum (she's Canadian, so I'll use their term) can get by without ironing the dress.
The baby was due this past Sunday and we haven't heard a bit about labor, so I'll be patient and package this lovely dress when the little darling makes her appearance.