Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day!

Today is Valentine's Day, and as I usually don't get too terribly excited over it, I did want to make something related to the day.


I was messing around in the sewing room and made this little felt heart. Well, actually I was inspired by the heart from Martha on her blog Southern Matriarch. Mine is nowhere near as adorable, but as I spent maybe two hours on it, it isn't bad. The Battenburg heart was something I picked up visiting an heirloom sewing shop near San Diego. All the embroidery is done with floche from my complete collection. I think I have enough floche to last me the rest of my life! The chain stitch around the appliqued fabric heart is interlaced with a lighter shade of pink floche. It's pretty hard to see as the lighter shade is too close to the white felt.

This little project taught me a good lesson: Pick my colors more carefully, and use dark enough colors to show against the background.

For a bit of history of Valentine's day, see this link, complete with a picture of the Saint himself:




Then I found this quote from Chaucer about birds finding their mates in the middle of February:

For this was sent on Seynt Valentyne's day
Whan every foul cometh ther to choose his mate.  Chaucer, Parliament of Foules

I hope you have a wonderful Valentines' day with your loved ones!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from readers! Please let me know what you think of my posts. If you ask a question, I will reply here on the blog, so others can see the answer.