Here is another little outfit I made for my granddaughter and is now back in my keeping, waiting for the next one (if ever).
This is a feather stitched baby jacket with a matching diaper cover. We made this in a SAGA class hosted by one of our local chapters, designed and taught by Kathy Awender, who I've mentioned before. The fabric is a poly/cotton pique which at first I didn't like, but have come to appreciate. It doesn't wrinkle they way 100% cotton does and it's pretty darn easy to iron.
The smocking is a feather stitch, which is worked from right to left, unlike most stitches which are worked left to right. You can find detailed instructions for several different varieties of feather stitch in Country Bumpkin's A to Z of Smocking, available on their website, Amazon, Book Depository and many other retailers. The collar, cuffs and smocking all have matching pink piping which we made ourselves. It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it. Notice the extra feather stitching on the collar and cuffs. It wasn't in the original design, but I always add extra.
The flower embroider is simple, but very sweet. The flower is a buttonhole stitch worked in the round, and the leaves are fly stitch. This was all fairly easy, and makes a great project to make in a day or two. I used a pattern I dug out of an old Australian Smocking and Embroidery for the diaper cover.
I hope everyone had a lovely Thanksgiving. We only had my mom over, so it was a quiet holiday. I learned that you don't have to have 20+ people to have a good Thanksgiving! She went home with the green afghan, as it's been cold here, for Southern California, and it is nice and cozy.
My Christmas sewing has not been going well, but is recovering. I'll have a post about it soon.