Thursday, August 25, 2016

Construction and Finishing


Sewing the bag to the frame
The title of this post is a bit of a misnomer, as I forgot to take photos of the construction. Which is no big deal, as it was very simple, just the lining sewn to the silk embroidered piece and turned right side out. The tricky part was sewing the bag top to the purse frame. I ruined at least two needles doing this.

Carefully stuffing the bag into the frame corners
I keep a package of manicure sticks on hand for pushing fabric into tight spots without puncturing the fabric. The sticks are perfect for this.

Berries made from pebble beads
For a long time now, I've been of the opinion that beads make any embroidery, whether smocking, surface embroidery, or counted work, much better and more exciting. I love to add a little bling to the pieces I work on. Evidently, the designer, Susan O'Connor, must feel the sam way, as she uses beads quite extravagantly in this purse. First of all, the yellow berries are made of pebble beads wrapped with thread and secured with a red seed bead on top. The large pink flower looks like it sneezed a few beads.

Even the blackberries have beads
The blackberries are adorned with little blue seed beads to give them a bit of dimension and light. 

More beads on the blue flowers
The blue flowers (what they are, I haven't a clue) have lots of gold beads surrounding them. There are more than the pattern specified, so I had to raid my stash to finish the somewhat dense bead pattern that I made.

Spangles and beads on the back
 Even the back of the bag has spangles attached with beads.

The finished bag
There are a few spangles with beads on the front of the bag as well. And look at the big pink flower on the right, the center is surrounded by beads.

The bag is lined with burgundy satin, but all of my photos had too much light reflecting off the hardware, so you will have to take my word for it. I just couldn't get a good picture. If you look closely at the frame, there are two little triangles for a strap to be attached. They are too small for a fabric strap, as the instructions state, and besides, I think I prefer a clutch. Maybe if I find a nice, delicate chain, I might buy one and attach it, but I will decide that later.

All in all, I'm pretty pleased with it. It's big enough for a phone, some cash and a lipstick, which is all I need. Now to find a dress to go with it for the Convention banquet!



12 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see what dress you will wear with your lovely bag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm leaning towards a red top and black skirt, but we'll see.

      Delete
  2. I agree with you about all the beads, AND I like the weight they add to the piece. It adds to the richness. Beautiful job. I'm sure it will get tons of compliments. I think you'll have a fun time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm so glad it's finally done, after almost three years.

      Delete
  3. It's lovely, beautifully done - I'm looking forward to seeing the whole outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It will go with anything - but what about green? Would the greens suit you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost never wear green, but since I found some dark red dupioni in my stash, I think I'll go with that.

      Delete

I love to hear from readers! Please let me know what you think of my posts. If you ask a question, I will reply here on the blog, so others can see the answer.