Monday, April 29, 2013
Some Progress on the Little Bee Eater
I've been so very busy lately that I haven't had much time for much sewing, embroidery, or even blogging about what little I've done. The sewing room reorganization is coming along in fits and starts, and yesterday I uncovered a project I've neglected for quite some time. Once I sat down, plugged in an audiobook and set to work, I realized just how much I've missed this little guy.
I added some colors to his breast, blending the darker shades in with the light. It was very surprising to me how good I felt being able to sit down and concentrate on just stitching away.
The dark stripe is especially challenging to blend in with the russet tones. He's looking handsome, isn't he?
To make it even more difficult, light yellow goes on over the dark, almost black threads. These birds don't think about embroiderers when they evolve those colors, do they?
I'm not at all happy with the photography. One of my goals is to set up a little mini photo shoot area, in which I have consistent lighting so all the photos will look similar. It is hard to show you good photos of my work if the photography is of a rank amateur, which is what, of course, I am. I will have to put the Bee Eater aside for a while as I really have too much on my plate right now.
One of the many reasons that I have been so busy is that I am preparing for a bridal shower for my niece.
I made these pecan shortbread cookies yesterday. Substituting a bit of cornstarch for the flour makes them especially tender.
I also made a test batch of the main course, ham and gruyere quiche, which we had for lunch yesterday on the patio. I take the photos and then send them to my sister, the mother of the bride, who, I might add, is in full "mother of the bride" mode. I know because I've been there. The shower is this coming Saturday, then it's work on the flower girl dresses. So I'll have plenty to write about and will definitely try to do better about finding the time for it.
Have a great Stitching Week!