Sunday, July 29, 2012

Constructing the Bits of Bulllion Bubble


The embroidery on the Bits of Bullion Bubble is almost complete (more on that later) so it's time to sew the pieces together.  Here I've sewn the piping to the fabric around one of the armscyes, and have it pinned to the bodice lining to sew them together. To get the piping nice and tight, the bodice and lining need to be sewn together just next to the sewing line for the piping. With this light mint pique and white thread, it's almost impossible to see the where the needle goes in relation to the thread. 


After struggling with it for a while, I finally hit upon the idea of marking the thread so I could see it better. Sometimes a little tip like that can make all the difference in the world. I was able to see the piping seam well enough to sew the bodice and lining together.


The bodice, with the piping relatively tight in the seams. This pattern has an overlapping side detail, with a little worm and snail almost peeking out from the overlap.


Here's the bit about the embroidery not being quite done. After sewing the bottom pieces together, I realize that each side needs another little flower or something right in the lower centers. Luckily, I haven't put the floss and needles away and hope to embroider these last items later today. Here we are almost at the end of July, so I'd better get cracking to finish this by the end of the month. If only work didn't get in the way. If you would like to see my progress on this garment, just click here.

I'm off to the International Quilt Festival in Long Beach, California today to see some gorgeous quilts and to shop a bit at the market.  I hope all of you have a great Sunday and can manage to get some stitching in!

4 comments:

  1. Will that be #3 then? My #1 is done (just haven't posted yet), #2 is stalled at the zip, which I'll get the right size of tomorrow - hopefully, and #3 is coming along nicely and may even be ready in time for the end of the month.=)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it would be #3, but it's just not going to happen. Oh well...

      Delete
  2. Its certainly getting there Cynthia. I love those little bullion flowers and things. I agree that marking with one of those pens can be such a help at times. Just remember not to press it until it is washed out. Just ask my mum about it lol. Well not really a laughing matter but lets say you should always stitch straight on the lines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see this finished. The combination of pique, gingham and embroidery is just delightful.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from readers! Please let me know what you think of my posts. If you ask a question, I will reply here on the blog, so others can see the answer.