Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Some Holiday Sewing


The hand embroidery projects are set aside temporarily while I get some holiday sewing done. A year ago, I posted how I made a Raggedy Ann for my granddaughter's Christmas gift. I did mention how I would have Andy finished by the New Year; well here he is, all finished only 11 months late. I'm hoping to make another dress for Ann for this Christmas.


Lately I've been trying to learn the embroidery software for my sewing machine, but I think Andy looks a bit confused by it.


I purchased a five-pack of kitchen towels and embroidered an open design on the three that were flat cotton, similar to canvas. I didn't use any wash-away stabilizer on the top, and I think the embroidery is just fine. But I should have used the darkest brown for all three.


On the two waffle weave towels I used a denser design. The one on the right took over 2 1/2 hours as I was constantly misthreading the machine and creating a bird's nest underneath the embroidery with loops on the top. Once I figured out what was wrong and took special pains to thread the machine correctly, the embroidery progressed fairly smoothly and the second towel came together in less than 1/2 hour. I watched a lot of TV on the laptop while taking out stitches. I've just finished watching all of Sherlock, and noticed that there will be a third season, starting in January in the US.


I bought this fabric last year intending to make aprons. Yesterday I washed and ironed the fabric, and found some ecru Battenburg lace for the pockets. I forgot to include it in the photos, but will with the finished articles. These need to be finished by next Wednesday so my daughter, granddaughter and I will all have matching aprons for our Thanksgiving preparations. I also hope to embroider names on the pockets, which will be the darker fabric.

Thanks to alindbergh who alerted me to The Paradise on PBS. It turns out that I have automatically recorded all available episodes (I think the last one airs this coming Sunday), so I've started watching it. The story line so far is a bit dull, but the costumes are wonderful! The only problem is that I have to be downstairs in front of the TV to watch it, so I usually iron while doing so. Right now I'm pretty much caught up on ironing. My husband only works 2 1/2 days each week, so it doesn't take much time to iron his shirts.

6 comments:

  1. I think I sympathise with Andy's confusion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your machine embroidery looks great, and from time to time it's just nice to be able to complete something quickly, unlike the handwork that so many of us love to do. Bravo to you for having the perserverence to pursue with the machine embroidery after all of the trouble with the threading and "bird's nesting". It's at that point, that I am tempted to go "free motion"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Machine embroidery is one of those things that when it is good, it is very very good and when it is bad it is horrid. :) Good for you for getting your gifts done so promptly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Andy is so handsome--a worthy partner for darling Ann. I really, really like your towels. The designs on the patterned towels looks great. I wouldn't have thought to branch out there. Great job on your machine embroidery. You will find it to be easier and easier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet you ladies will look cute in your matching aprons! That will be a fun way to do all that cooking. :)

    You Andy looks great. I love those guys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Piękny haft na ręcznikach i jaka sliczna lala.Pozdrawiam.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from readers! Please let me know what you think of my posts. If you ask a question, I will reply here on the blog, so others can see the answer.