Saturday, June 4, 2011

Hanky Lavender Sachets


This is a quick and easy way to make lavender sachets that are pretty enough to hang in your closet.

 

First, choose a hanky. This is a "vintage look" hanky that I bought on eBay. They are pretty inexpensive. OK, they're cheap. They were less than $1.00 US each and that included shipping from Hong Kong. 


Remember the tea bags from the Lavender Sachet post?  You need to make them square, so fold on the diagonal and press to find the amount to cut off.


Then cut off the excess. The bag will now only be sealed on two sides. Iron one side closed.


Fill with lavender, home grown if you have it, and iron the fourth side closed. 


Fold the hanky in quarters and slip the lavender tea bag under the first fold.


Cut a length of ribbon and slip the cut ends in the middle of the folded hanky. I used 32 inches, but you can adjust to your liking. Zigzag the ribbon in the fold, then straight stitch just outside the lavender tea bag to enclose it.



And here's the finished tea bag hanging next to a sweater.


These are quick and easy enough to make a bunch in advance to enclose in a gift bag for someone. They would also make great bridal shower favors. If you want to get really fancy, you can use silk ribbon and lacy or embroidered vintage handkerchiefs. Here is a pretty blue embroidered hanky that had some stains on it I couldn't get out, so this is a nice use for it. I was able to fold it so the stains wouldn't show. Cute, aren't they?

1 comment:

  1. Another wonderful idea I might just have to pinch LOL.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from readers! Please let me know what you think of my posts. If you ask a question, I will reply here on the blog, so others can see the answer.