Monday, December 6, 2010

Toy Christmas Dress from the Past

This is my link up to Laurie Anderson's Monday Memories Series of Posts, the first of which is Spirit of Christmas Past. I really didn't sew that much for my children when they were young as I was so busy working, so this is about the very recent past.


I made this dress two years ago for my niece, Claudia, from a kit I had purchased some time earlier.


The pattern originally called for picture smocking on the insert but I changed it to a geometric design which I found much easier. I even made the piping to go on the smocked insert, collar and cuffs.



I managed to match the floss pretty well to the dress, don't you think?



And here's the somewhat wonky sash tied in the back.  (It looked much better on her.)

Claudia loved the dress and was able to wear it for two Christmases. I made it fairly long and she only grew up, not out very much.

I made this from the standard smocked yoke dress pattern available in the various issues of Australian Smocking and Embroidery. The construction is fairly easy for an intermediate sewer, as there are no really special techniques to use. I interfaced the yoke, which made it way too stiff - I won't do that again.

Laurie made a cute little badge to put on my site, but I can't get it to work, so use the link at the top of her page to see all the various posts.

Happy Christmas Sewing - I have to get back to my current project!

5 comments:

  1. Loved reading about your dress! The smocking is beautiful, and the fabric print is darling! Isn't it great when you put so much work into something and it gets 2 years (or more) use out of it? Thanks for sharing your memories of a Christmas past and for being a part of my Linky Party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What gorgeous smocking you do!!! That is a beautiful dress!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a pretty dress! I wanted to comment last week that I thought your picture smocking looked good, too- sometimes it just takes awhile to come together. Try again sometime- all of your work is so beautiful, I'm sure you will find success at it eventually!s

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable! Love that fabric and your smocking is beautiful. I'm a follower of yours now too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your smocking is wonderful, and the thread DOES match wonderfully! I do the same thing with my daughter's dresses....make them extra long so we can get two years of wear out of them! Makes it easier to keep her closet full of pretty dresses. I love the fabric you chose for the dress too! So cute!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from readers! Please let me know what you think of my posts. If you ask a question, I will reply here on the blog, so others can see the answer.