Saturday, December 11, 2010

Christmas Angels

Here is another post in the Spirit of Christmas Past. We are getting out the Christmas decorations and setting up the tree today so I'll share some angels that I made several years ago.


This is a tree topper which originally had an awful bright white polyester dress on it. My sister, who makes wedding gowns, gave me the silk charmeuse scraps from her daughter's wedding dress. I made this little dress using a Wee Care pattern from the SAGA website, making the sleeves a bit longer and trimming with lace. I added lace on the top to make a ruff and gathered it instead of smocking it. I didn't want the experience of trying to run the silk charmeuse through the pleater. I used lace beading to gather the neck and sleeves.



This is a scrap of lace beading for those of you not familiar with it. Attach it to fabric and other laces by a tiny zig zag stitch and thread narrow ribbon through the holes to gather.


Some simple feather stitching and bullion roses using silk embroidery floss, YLI, I think.


And here she is with her attendants. Her wings are from Macy's Christmas Shop years ago and pinned to the dress for easy removal. 


The little angels are cotton batiste with the decorative stitches from my sewing machine. The pattern is from Creative Needle Christmas, published by the now defunct Creative Needle Magazine back in 1997. It has been out of print for some time but is available it from various sellers on Amazon for as little as $0.99 plus shipping. I must have made close to twenty of these and gave many away to nieces and the ladies at work. They make a really nice and easy decoration. Just use lots of starch to keep them upright.

Are you getting out the Christmas decorations? Have a great Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from readers! Please let me know what you think of my posts. If you ask a question, I will reply here on the blog, so others can see the answer.