Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Tucked Baby Daygown

For my granddaughter's first Christmas in 2008, I wanted to make a quick and easy dress that would look great. They were getting ready to move from Southern California to Colorado (sniff!) so time was short. The answer was to use the pattern Tucked Baby Daygown by Collars, Etc. Just follow the link down to almost the bottom of the page and you will see it, along with the other patterns offered by the same company. This was a cinch to make and looked great!



This was a pretty breezy day last month that I took this photo. I must admit it does look a bit odd to see all the green plants in the background of a Christmas dress, but then it's almost always like that here. (not to brag or anything, but we in California have our own problems, what with budget crises, earthquakes, fires, and so on)




Isn't the Christmas tree fabric adorable? As I recall, it is from Makower, a UK fabric company whose fabrics I absolutely love. I made the piping out of a scrap of green fabric that I happened to have that was a pretty good match to the green of the trees. The tucks give the dress its fullness with a  simplicity that is both easy to construct and elegant looking. While it is always nice to smock a dress for the fullness, I needed quick and easy, and this was certainly that!



And finally, here is Bridget at eight months old in her Christmas dress in front of our tree. She is sitting against a rather large stuffed dog my mother bought for her. She couldn't quite sit up straight on her own at the time, so we propped her against the dog and took quite a few shots before she started to tip over. We ended up with this one lovely photo of her.

You can't really tell from the photo, but all of the ornaments are angels. Don't ask me why, as I don't know, but several years ago I got into this angel ornament kick and have been buying more angel ornaments as the years go by. The model certainly looks like a cherub, doesn't she?

1 comment:

I love to hear from readers! Please let me know what you think of my posts. If you ask a question, I will reply here on the blog, so others can see the answer.